Monday, November 19, 2007

Democratic Debate


The Democratic Debate that was shown on CNN and held in Las Vegas last week was very interesting. There were many issues that were covered such as the immigration problem, the removal of troops in Iraq, the methods of future diplomatic encounters, election of Supreme Court Justices and other important issues. There were many responses that candidates gave that I did not agree with, not just because I am a Republican and decided that everything any of the presidential hopefuls said was wrong, but because I strongly felt that their convictions were incorrect. I was eager to hear from Obama. He has become so popular today and he such a well spoken person that he is engaging to listen to. But, surprisingly the obvious tension between him and Clinton made some of their arguments less appealing. He says that he wants to have diplomatic relations with our enemies, well fine but I highly doubt they want to talk to us, I think they would rather see us all…gone. So I don’t know how Mr. Obama would, with efficiency produce his desired effect.
One person that I actually agreed with on the immigration problem was Governor Bill Richardson. He made some great points that I really liked, and some I did not completely agree with concerning illegal immigration. He does not agree with putting up a fence around the border. Why? Its not that he would not want to, but it is that he does not believe it would work. I see his point. What type of “super fence” would we have to build in order to keep the illegal immigrants out? Would it even work? Also, he believes that the people of Mexico need a better path to citizenship. Perhaps it could be changed, but for now I believe that they need to come here legally or not at all. And, people should not get angry at the US for this belief or believe that the US is being too harsh, but Mexico needs to better provide for its poor. The main point that Richardson made that I agree with is that we should not give all of the Mexican illegals amnesty. This is just ridiculous and it would undermine one of the duties of a citizen, which is to obey a law.

No comments: